Monday, November 19, 2007

A new blog is born


Barbara Shoup is not a new name in YA fiction. She's the author of several books for young adults, including Wish You Were Here, a novel that managed to garner an interesting variety of notoriety. It was an ALA Best Book for Young Adults and it was among the most challenged books published in 1998 according to the ALA. When it went out of print, librarians and other readers voted it the book they'd most like to see reissued in a 2006 study by the the ALA and the CBC (Flux is very happy to listen to the voice of the people. We're reissuing it next summer). Her most recent novel, Everything You Want, won the Pen/Phyllis Reynolds Naylor Working Writer Fellowship (and we're publishing that one this spring). She also teaches and lectures widely on writing for young people.


Barbara Shoup is, however, a new blogger. I know I'm looking forward to reading her unique perspectives on books for young adults. I'm especially hoping she'll elaborate on why the Flux edition of Wish You Were Here will be the book equivalent of a "director's cut."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a new blogger myself, who went into it kicking and screaming, I'm amazed at how much I enjoy it. It serves as a pretty effective writing warm-up sometimes, and it's a great way to connect with other writers & YA booklovers. I look forward to reading Barbara's blog, and her books, which have me quite intrigued, after this teaser . . .

Varian Johnson said...

Andrew,

Thanks for the link to Barbara’s blog. I always find it interesting to read about authors that purposely start off as adult authors before realizing the beauty and power of YA fiction.